This weekend we'll be doing the Civil War days and then September and school is upon us.
I spent the rest of my birthday money (after buying myself a skirt and dress for super on sale so that I can now dress vintage) on this boat. We are in love. Normally this puppy costs $500 and is custom made but I scored it for $50.
There was supposed to be some kind of Celtic flash mob in Sparks at the last farmers market, with members of the Sierra Highlanders pipe band. It sounded bigger than it was- I dragged my poor family out for nothing. There were some band members and they played all of two tunes- both marches and unable to dance to. Thankfully there is a theater nearby with a water feature. I took off Tupp and Pherson's kilts and let them at it.
I just found a local craft store with the most lovely fabric...and it's going out of business. The owners are retiring and everything is 30% off. I needed some fabric to finish up a dress for Tupp, and came away with enough to make seven dresses (half of that fabric I already had). Ah, the addiction is strong.
The horses.are.everywhere. There is a band that frequents our street and have been so kind as to eat away some of our weeds. Unfortunately they also ate my potatoes and carrots. I'm not a fan of the "save the horses" campaign- they're doing just fine in my opinion.
Finally finished the last of my preserving. I did peaches (peach leather, peach sauce), pears (dried, pear leather and pear sauce), apples (apple sauce), elderberries (syrup for medicinal purposes) and raspberries (jam and dried). I may get my hands on some gravensteins for apple pie filling, but that's it.
I did finally find a viable blackberry bush in town, so we made a cobbler.
Monday it begins. I've planned the curriculum down to the week in most cases and to the day for Math and English. I've planned our daily rhythm and weekly rhythm. Cash has been asking for it, I've got all of our school supplies (except the wool roving) and completed all the projects and tasks (handwork alphabet, DMV for my license, processing all our food storage, making our math gnomes) so I think we're ready. Hoping it all goes as well as I think it should. Homeschool hits the fan in a day and a half.
That's my alphabet banner handwork. I started it two months ago, made a lot of progress, and then kept putting it off. Only took me about an hour and a half to finish.
I'm still doing the photo a day thing. I confess I am not trying as hard now that I've already been converted to the beauty of Nevada. But it's amazing how things keep pleasantly surprising me.
Yes. That is our yard. We have horseys for breakfast.
So, my kids made me do it. I justified it with Clay didn't have a sun shade for his car so I could give him my old regular one. We always get a kick out of this when we come back to our car. We hope other people do to.
I finally took the time to get to know my fancy camera that Clay bought me. Yes I used it for a wedding in May, but I shot it pretty much on auto since I took the gig last minute. I had one week to figure out how to use this puppy to shoot dancers for our friends business production. Then I got the request to film the actual performances as well. I may not be an expert, but I'm finally understanding all the technical mumbo jumbo and how to use this thing. Or at least I'm not scared of it anymore.
We planted about ten or more of our peach seeds and Cash insisted we plant some apple ones too (but I think the quail ate them). Then there is a gal in Silver City who has a professional garden (she sells to that Core restaurant that we ate at) and was looking to get rid of some plants. I got some medicinal ones, some edible flowers, three elderberry trees (that may not survive- I'm hoping they're just in shock and come out of it) and tons of strawberries. I have them all up on the deck so that the deer and horses can't get them.
Part of my new daily routine is to wake up at 5:30am before the kids to get a start on the day. I read my scriptures, run, exercise and start on breakfast. I've only been successful half the time this past two weeks, but I do like it and it makes things go smoother and allows me to do things that I can't do once the kids are up (mostly the running). Plus I get to see some great things in beautiful lighting.
If they wake up before I get back from my run Cash usually lets Pherson out and entertains him and takes care of him.
So, Auntie Britt gave Tupp some special lipstick. It's purple, but once it goes on it changes color. She decided to apply it herself the other day. A bit of a Joker job. And it wouldn't wipe off so she was stuck with it for a couple of days. Cash kept telling her she should have let him do it for her. You know, since he's a make-up expert. ;)
We just never get tired of the trains. In fact, they just had their first Civil War train battle with the cannons. You can hear the booms echoing from afar off. We're going to go watch one later. They are having two today, two tomorrow and one on Monday. Also on Monday is a parade (always a parade in VC!) with a battle during the parade. Next weekend is the camel races. Never a dull moment here!
Hope you all have a lovely weekend. Wish us luck with school and we're looking forward to some more adventures this next month, including (but not limited to) another trip to SR for the opening of Shuffles Ice Cream Shoppe (for both pleasure and work), our first ever steampunk shindig and ball, and our first Michaelmas celebration as part of our Waldorf homeschooling. Ok, off to do laundry and dishes while Pherson:
Isaac's 12th Birth Day
6 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment