Let's see, what have we been up to?....
I'm going to start in reverse as I've just discovered that I've been diligent about uploading the pictures onto the computer, just not in writing my blog.
Thanks to an article in the April Friend magazine, Cash started on a Titanic addiction. We've watched several documentaries and he has drawn it so many times I've lost count. If you stand still long enough he'll tell you everything he knows about the Titanic and it's sinking. I confess that I encourage him.
The nice sunny days are back and we are walking every morning now. We usually walk to our local library every other week and the stroller is necessary for us to manage our huge load of books. We just finished Runaway Ralph and Bunnicula and are starting How To Eat Fried Worms. Cash's reading is continuing to expand and I am so proud of him for doing so well and for actually enjoying it.
Cash is also on a fishing kick. We had a week of studying ponds and I took the kids to a local one (there will be a picture later) and ever since he's been into fishing. This weekend is the kids big fishing shin-dig in Carson. In the meantime Clay (who loves to fish) has been taking Cash and Tupp out periodically on the weekends. So far they've only been successful in catching this one fish:
I've been sewing. And not my usual sewing. For the most part I only do straight lines- baby blankets, a simple (VERY simple) dress pattern. But I've been stretched to my meager limits lately in making baby items that we don't really have to the money for.
Fashionable baby drool bibs,
patching my pants (they all have holes in the knees and it kills me to replace them over just that),
infant swaddler (I have one in the large size left over from Pherse that I procured secondhand, but I still need to make the medium size one),
a door jam cover (the kids have been fighting over rooms and trying to keep each other out which always evolves into meltdowns), baby caps and
So with my new machine I took it on it's maiden voyage and made a sun hat for next year (these puppies usually cost $30!). This was also the same day our washing machine died. So, ta da! And the kids favorite part is the ginormous box.
Cash finally lost his first tooth. I think he thought it was never going to happen. But two weeks ago he told me it was loose and a week later it was out. What to do for the first tooth fairy visit? I tried an origami jet plane, heart and box- failing at all of them. So this is what I did and wrote him a little letter about what a good kid he was and to keep it up.
As part of our curriculum this week we celebrated Earth day by picking up trash on our street and the street behind us. We were so proud of ourselves. And then, the motorcross grand prix was this weekend. As you can imagine, there are now beer and coffee cans/cups all over. Time for another Earth Day I guess.
It also snowed the night before the races. We spent the day lazing around- I planned curriculum all day and after Clay got home from helping out with something for church he embarked on a new project- cheese making! He really enjoyed it and now we've got all the dairy prodcuts necessary to make cheese, butter, whip cream, cream cheese, etc.
With squeaky curd cheese we're in business to make poutine- fries with cheese curds and gravy. Mmmmmm. He's planning on making some ricotta with the leftover whey, but after that I'm not sure what we'll do with the rest of the whey.
This is them while I get ready for church. Don't let it fool you- Tupp is giggling and having a great time while Pherse pretends to ride her as his bike. That's what pigtails are for I guess.
So this little stinker LOVES to sit on the potty. No fear, and he'll insist on staying there til he produces something. This morning it was poops for the first time. Yes, I'm proud of my sons poop.
We started our garden about a month ago. We've had several surprises over the last month. Like the fact that the kids planted a whole slew of lettuces that I hope survive despite lack of space. And something else that got tossed in with the lettuces that I've had to replant. And the potatoes that are now just surfacing after I though they were a lost cause and transplanted strawberries into the same barrel, and the zucchinis that I almost threw out but appear to be sprouting (though haven't reached the surface yet). My biggest surprise was the little peach tree that I though was a weed and am now trying to resurrect. I lack my father's green thumb, but I'm getting an A for effort. About the only thing that's surviving almost entirely without me are my three elderberry trees.
We've gone back to California twice this year- once in February and then again for Easter/spring break. I started crocheting on the drive there. I can definitely see why people like this better than knitting. Hoping to make a hat soon, but there's still so much to learn. Yay for youtube.
I just love Tuppy's drawings. This is the family, minus Cash who didn't want his picture taken.
Now we're getting into our older photos. So back where my last post left off, we woke one Saturday morning and I could hear the water running but couldn't figure out where. Ran downstairs and found that a leak under the kitchen sink was pouring water into the basement. Thankfully it was an easy fix and Clay was able to get things shut off until he could get the parts to fix it that same day. He's definitely getting his handyman skills a workout lately.
The pond unit that inspired the fishing addiction- we made animals that live in a pond and then constructed out own mud pit pond.
This is the pond we visited and the fish that a man caught while we were there that he shared with the kids.
I love this weather we've been having- chairs and table back on the deck where we play most mornings while Cash does his lessons. Sometimes we even eat lunch out there until the sun falls behind the house and mountains. It's only nice while the deck is sunny- once there is shadow it's too chilly, but the days will change soon and then we'll want the shade.
Learning in the bath tub.
I had started making Tupp an Elsa dress since before Christmas. I finally found a pattern I could manage and it was indeed a success. It was also the same day that Cash shot her in the head with an arrow. She still has the scar, but we patched her up well enough until Clay could go get the butterfly bandaids we needed to hold her ear up. I am the McGuyvor Mamma.
St. Patrick's day in VC is big- parades and Rocky Mountain Oyster festival. We helped out our friends in charge of the Comstock Mining float (despite the fact that Clay is still unemployed).
The kids had a grand old time and got a chance to wear their kilts.
Pherse has started writing "numbers." He thinks numbers and letters are the same thing and often when Cash is doing his writing Pherse will plop down with a paper and crayons and mimic. I'm just amazed that he's taught himself how to hold a writing instrument and that he works so hard and concentrates to create these precise writings.
For our preparation for Easter we made some decoration and tried our hand at felting for the first time. Technically my second, but it's just as long and drawn out a process as I remember. We made eggs, and while it wasn't difficult it took forever. It probably didn't help that we started with nice weather and by the time we finished it was raining. I also got a free chunk of wood from my neighbor that we are turning into an outdoors tic-tac-toe game. Still need to paint the rocks.
I originally made these diapers and wipes for Tuppy for Easter, but I forgot to bring them on our trip. When I finally did give them to her all three of them started playing house and had a grand old time changing the dolly baby's poopie diapers. So funny to see Cash take charge of that job and then tell me he wanted to learn to change Pherson so he could be ready to change the new baby's diapers. Don't know how long that will last, but in the meantime Pherse won't let Cash change him.
Ah, the peg people. I went to Hobby Lobby for the first time ever to get the felt that we were going to use for the eggs and found wooden peg people. I'd always wanted to try my hand at painting these guys- big mistake! The kids are in love with them and now I have a list a mile long of all the people they would like painted. To start with we gave one to a friend, Tuppy insisted on painting another, Vader, a pirate, Harry Potter, Ginny Weasley, Tuppy and a ballerina.
We'll leave you on this happy note- Cash is developing his face painting skills on himself and his siblings. Pherson's face was almost entirely black the day I got home to tell them all we were having a little girl- it seemed somehow fitting and ironic for some reason. Ah, love my fun and chaotic brood. I so enjoy the adventure and look forward to the future but sometimes wish it would let me rewind. Please keep us in your prayers as Clay is still looking for something that will sustain our family. He has picked up many side jobs here and there so we are grateful for that. At this point I'm not overly concerned, but my overly worriesome doctor has ordered more tests for me. It should be fine, but prayers are always appreciated.
Loves to you all!!
2 comments:
We'll definitely keep you in our Prayers job-wise. What kind of tests is your doctor ordering?
Hope all is well with you and baby.
Thanks Jen. Just some more blood tests. I tested false positive for syphillus (which I have many times before) and they are concerned that I might have lupus (though I have not signs or symptoms). If it were to be the case then it can affect the baby's heart and development.
Post a Comment