"Men are what their mothers made them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Two weeks already


In some ways it's gone by super fast and in others (like the lack of sleep department) it isn't going fast enough. I know I'll regret that later, but there are times that you feel like a feeding and poop changing machine running on no sleep. It's totally worth it though- as any mother will tell you.

We've had our downs and, in the end, ups this week. It started out with Tup regurgitating most everything she ate for two days (not sick, just reflux) and thus not back up to her birth weight. We've kept her upright ever since and now she's doing fabulously (in my opinion). She seems to be filling out a bit and we go back on Tuesday to see how she's doing in the weight department, but at this point I'm no longer concerned.

Next was the hearing scare. She failed the hearing test at the hosptial before they sent us home, but assured us that in most cases it was just due to blockage from gunk in the canals. On my "my daughter is so perfect" high I wasn't even a tad bit concerned. Of course it was just gunk! At her first pediatric appointment I had them check to see if the ears were clear and they were. We called Sutter hospital to make an appointment to get her retested but they didn't call back and I wasn't overly concerned- after all, she's perfect so what could be wrong? And then I started noticing that she didn't look to find the source of noise, didn't flinch under any circumstances and then I conducted a half baked experiment. Cash and I stood over her while she slept and shouted at the top of our lungs in her face. Not a flinch. Needless to say, I was worried. Very worried. I called Sutter. Still no response. I wanted her tested again and I wanted her tested now. And so, I turned to St. Helena hospital. Can I just say that the drive there has always been worth it? Always. And this time it was no different. Ginny, even though she was on the busy end of things, took us in without hesitation and tested Tup on the spot. I think she could sense my concern and we both waited on each ear with fingers crossed. And she PASSED! I gave Ginny a hug, thanked her for the best New Years Eve ever and cried a little (with joy) when I reached my car.

So we have a heavy sleeper on our hands, and I am extremely grateful for it. As we begin this new year (it's so crazy to think it's 2011!) I've reflected on the many blessings and tender mercies our family has experienced this year. It's been a year of change, of improvement, of growth. There's always more to improve in the coming year, but for now- at this moment- all is right with the world. Because I've lost count of my blessings they are so numerous.

Hoping the same for all of you and much love from our family to yours.

No comments:

Blog Archive