And the after!
And then the kids played outside afterward. Somehow this teenage-like pose came about. I find it hysterical.
David told us all about how Home Depot does free building projects for kids once a month. He's been taking Avi, so in April I brought Cash and Tupp to make bird feeders. They LOVED it. And our birds are loving it. Tupp's hangs in the backyard and Cash's hangs in the front. This month they built herb planters. Cash planted rosemary and parsley and Tupp planted Italian parsley and lavender.
Speaking of projects, I've done several. First I made a folding sandwich baggy out of oilcloth since I couldn't bring myself to pay for one. Success! This last week I made strawberry jam (strawberry season),
and a pillowcase nighty for Tupp. Then I had a heavily stained shirt of Cash's with this tie embellishment on it. I hated to see it go to waste, so I cut it off and sewed it on one of Pherse's onesies to cover up an old stain from when Cash was a baby. Viola!
I made the onesie that Pherse wore for Easter in a quick hour, but mocked up a couple more for both Pherse and Cammie and J.P.'s baby due in July. I wanted to make some modifications and improvements, including interchangeable bow-ties with snaps.
Good thing I got those done in time for our family photo shoot. Matching bow-ties for all the boys. :)
We decided to dress up- kind of costume like. The boys all had bow-ties, Clay with his mustache and fake glasses and me in my fascinator. We look forward to seeing how they turn out.
I've been on a good cooking roll. That's saying something since I've always struggled to cook every night. I know, I'm pathetic. And I've finally used Shirley's abelskeiver's pan and made... abelskievers!
And here is the bummer portion of our month. Cash has been dealing with some problematic children throughout the schoolyear. There are three boys that have wanted to play with him, torture him and influence him poorly. For the most part he's navigated the experience rather well, inspite of being held down and pantsed (apparently on accident when they were trying to drag him). But this last month the boys behavior came to a head. Several of them pooped on the floor in the bathroom- several times. Cash told on them and told them to stop, but after the second time he was a bit at a loss as to what to do in such circumstances- and rightly so. Apparently this is a common happening at public school. Then one of them convinced Cash to punch another student. Needless to say, we've come down hard not only in punishment but in lessons on kindness, choosing the right, and finally (after my moment of inspiration) drops of awesome for the awesome moments when he is kind, helpful, chooses the right and puts himself on a time out when he's angry and may potentially hurt someone. He's doing MUCH better, and now we're working on lying.... :-/
Dress up! Tupp's first painted toe nails- and of course she picks red.
My awesome aviators that I got for Clay on sale. Cash loves them.
Not really sure, but something out of our dress up clothes bin. Maybe a fairy?
Oma got Tupp this headband. She actually wore it for longer than ten minutes, so I had to take a picture.
Just because she has cute bed head.
Okay, I admit that I play dress up too. On Pherse.
Pherse decided he didn't like rolling over. So he stopped doing it. For like a whole month. But Wednesday last week he must have decided it wasn't so bad after all and started doing it again and rolls a couple times each day. Silly Pherse.
We are loving our backyard (even if I'm not totally thrilled with the 90 degree weather we've been having lately).
First BBQ of the season. We're taste testing Hebrew National hot dogs. Which is better tasting- 97% fat free, low fat or full fat? So far we've tried the 97% ones and they're a bit chewy. I have a feeling the full fat will be the winner. But 13g's?! Ouch.
Water cannons- best $2 ever spent at the dollar store. And I got Tuppy a sunbonnet.
Our sunflowers! Tupp and I planted the seeds I'd harvested from the sunflowers at our old house a couple of years ago. They all sprouted and now we're just trying to protect them from marauding snails.
We've gotten a handful of fresh strawberries already and are still collecting our carrots from the winter. I missed the window on our onions so they'll go another season and multiply by fall and the asparagus that I ripped out has somehow managed to grow back. I bought a couple of zucchini and squash plants when the kids built their bird feeders but I need a couple more barrels to plant them. I'd also like to plant lettuce and a pumpkin. It's tradition.
And to end on a sweet note... While they may be screaming in the background while I'm writing this, I came down this last Sunday to find Cash "reading" to Tupp. Love my munchkins.
No comments:
Post a Comment