With the hot weather we've taken to eating outside sometimes.
Coming out of Trader Joe's the day before the 4th we were treated to arm stencils and delicious samples.
I also had a youth temple trip that day and loved this picture of the flag with the temple. We always go to In and Out afterward and I splurged with a root beer float in honor of America. ;)
I decided to go all out in celebration and we dressed in red, white and blue. Then we raced to the ward bike parade, which consisted of five whole families. :) Welcome to a small, moderately active ward. But the most memorable thing is Cash finally started to peddle. It always takes suggestions, even if they're exactly the same from your parents, from strangers to get you to listen.
Afterward we rushed to the VC parade, which was full of characters and earned the kids more candy than Halloween.
On Saturday we went to Home Depot and built bug boxes. Quite fortuitous since we had caught a stick bug the day before and needed a suitable place to keep him for observation purposes before we freed him. We ended up finding a second one and then freeing them both. Tupp had me catch six butterflies for her to observe.
Our fireworks were awesome and it turns out we can see them beautifully from the street in front of our house. We cracked out all the camping chairs so I set up the hammock too while I was at it. We lay on it and watch the stars at night, read books on it until it's too dark to continue, and pretend to blast off in our rocket ship to visit the moon and new planets. Before the fireworks we had a BBQ with ribs (yay!) at our friends in Silver City's house and then they brought homemade caramel corn to share with us to watch the fireworks. Next year we'll invite the whole ward since we have enough space to do a BBQ and parking beforehand.
Pherson has decided to not be content with his current sleeping arrangement. He climbs out of his bed if he wakes up in the middle of the night and attempts to get in trouble by roaming the house. We now put up a baby gate in my doorway to restrict his night time ramblings. Nap time is equally as troublesome. Often he falls asleep either on my bed, under my bed or in the wonky, unusable closet.
I felt like I needed to start running again. Mostly because I actually don't want to run. Does that make sense? This requires me to start going to bed earlier so I can wake up earlier and run before Pherson's wake-up time of "crack of dawn" or 5:30am. I've been reluctant to do so because this means giving up my "mommy alone time" after the kids go to bed. Because of the late sunset time Cash and Tupp haven't been going down until 8:30 or 9pm. And if I want to get up at 5am with any energy at all I need to be in bed by 10pm at the latest. An hour of me time just isn't enough. But I've done pretty well this week: 10 min run, 11 min run, 13 min run and a day spent dancing my tushy off at a Scottish dance workshop followed by a night of swing dancing. Only one day missed and I gathered these photos on my runs. Tomorrow I start at 14 min and I keep working my way up. Also doing push ups, planks and my diastisis exercises. It's a start.
So we've finally entered naked weather- weather where by 8am you want to be naked and stay that way for the foreseeable future.
But just when you're thinking you don't know if you'll be able to survive this way the thunder clouds come in...
We had two days of sporadic rain bursts. The first didn't do much, which was good since we were in the middle of a walk. The second has left the streets littered with rocks and debris it was such a torrent of water in just the space of fifteen minutes.
It was Young Women's camp this last week so I had the Tuesday off. We used it to go dancing and found a local big band in Carson that is just fantastic. The outside concerts are just divine.
For those unbearable days (like today) we are grateful for our basement. We can even ride bikes in it now that we've cleared some stuff up and organized other things.
We got deck furniture. That stuff can be freakishly expensive! Thankfully we found an awesome deal and got a coupon on top of it. I have plans to find a palette and paint it like the American flag to hang, but in the meantime I like Ruth's tree.
Cash's old French teacher from Califonia was in Tahoe for vacation and popped in to spend the afternoon with us. They had a good time and so did we. We did a little walking tour of the town with them and then they went to dinner at the Gold Hill Hotel. I think it was better, bigger and more than they were expecting. We aim to please! :)
We started our lindy hop classes along with our jitterbug lessons on Friday. Yesterday after the Scottish dance workshop (in which I got some much needed praise- I know, pathetic. But when you're almost 35 and six months out of practice and already feeling dumpy... Anyhoo, they were impressed by my elevation and precise feet. ;) we decided to go dance at a west coast swing dance in an effort to get the lindy information out into the community. Just so happens they were having a congregation of food trucks. Divine! My favorite was the blood orange cream soda. MMMMM! It's nice to have treats and eat out once in a while now that we don't do that much in our secluded little town.
No comments:
Post a Comment