We had a chance to take a mini vacation this last weekend. We headed out Friday afternoon on a six hour drive to San Luis Obispo to stay with the Spencers. It happened to coincide with the SLO lindy exchange and they happen to share our passion for dancing.
The drive went rather well despite the traffic early on. Cash slept fitfully for about two and a half hours and after that he did well. At one point he was going on about being lonely and how he was all alone so I sat in back with him for the last hour and fifteen minutes.
When we arrived the Spencers had made us dinner and arranged for a a babysitter. I confess I was nervous because we'd never really left Cash with anyone other than family before and I wasn't sure how easy he'd be for someone else. But it turned out fine- he watched a movie and then let them know he was tired and he went right to sleep. Meanwhile, we had a fantastic time dancing to a wonderful band- the Tipsy Gypsies.
The next day we headed to Avila Beach for the morning and played several rounds of Bocce ball. Afterward we took it easy while the kiddos did naps. We had a fantastic dinner of homemade pizzas and salad with BBQ corn. We decided to skip the dancing that night due to cost and the band that was playing and instead Mark and Lora took us to the local drive in. We saw Iron Man 2 and How To Train Your Dragon for $6. It was a lot of fun and made me wish we had a drive in around here. Cash did just as well with a new set of babysitters that night too. But having babysitters made me realize how much trust Cash places in us to leave him with people who will keep him safe.
In the morning Mark made us a fantastic breakfast. We made fresh orange juice from the tree in their backyard. One of our favorite things about the weekend was being able to live out of doors, so to speak. Cash could run aroud barefoot from inside to outside. A new and novel concept for him. Unfortunatley we can't do that here, but their yard was perfect for that.
After breakfast we hit the road. It seemed like the trip home was easier, but it probably took the same amount of time. We hit some rain on the way home and Cash only slept for an hour. He did an amazing job of amusing himself with his "green airbus" , as he calls it. We stopped at Oma and Opa's on the way to Gigi and Pop Pops just so we could prove to Cash that they truly weren't home. He insisted that I was wrong about them being on vacation in Utah and he missed them (as well as the PBY and Mustang airplanes). We arrived just in time for a wonderful Mother's Day meal at the Mitchell's followed by a round of Taboo.
Today was spent catching up on laundry. I think I did about 7 loads today. I can't imagine doing something like that the old fashioned way with scrubbing boards and all. Thank heavens for modern day machines and the convenience!
And I'd be lying if I didn't admit that it will be kind of nice to have one less job this week. Of course, that time just gets used to catch up on other things, not really for resting :) Hoping you all have a nice week too.
Some Cash-isms and quotes:
"I can't do anything without a hammer."
"I need new options."
when singing the Sunshine song by Matt Costa:
"Sunshine, I really like to tell you, Oma, Sunshine..." instead of "oh my".
"Let's sing the Jeannie Bird."
when pointing out one of our chipped plates:
"Auntie Jen broke it." - apparently she snuck into our cupboards :)
Isaac's 12th Birth Day
6 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment