"Men are what their mothers made them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

What a way to end November!

 Pherson Eugean Mitchell took us by surprise yesterday by arriving a little over two weeks early.  I started having contractions on Sunday night, but was able to sleep between them and, truth be told, was more preoccupied with Tupp throwing a temper tantrum to give them a second thought. Come Monday morning I was still  having contractions, but life had to be lived, breakfast made, Cash to get off to school, Ron to meet with, weddings to edit...you get the picture. About 10am I thought I should figure out if there was any rhythm to the contractions and, sure enough, they were 5 minutes apart but only lasting 30 or so seconds. For some reason I thought they should be lasting longer, so I called the Birth Center to ask the midwife on call. She said they didn't sound very productive and that I should wait until they were lasting 45-60 seconds and that had been going on for an hour. So I waited. And while I waited I packed bags and walked. At noon I called my mom to get Tupp because it was getting close to her nap time and, just in case, I didn't want to have to wake her up from her nap should things actually progress. Good thing too, because by 1pm I was really sure we were in late stages of labor. At this point they were 3min apart and lasting 45 seconds. I had asked Clay to pick up a couple of things on his way home from his meeting, which he did (along with lunch that he ate in the parking lot). So by the time he got home at 1:45pm my water was breaking and we were scrambling to load up and get out of the house. My phone and camera got left behind. After a couple of contraction to get to the car and realizing there was absolutely no way I was sitting, I kneeled on the passenger seat and instructed Clay to drive as fast as humanly possible. Which he did. For the future we will supe up the wagon for just such emergencies. Thankfully the CHP officer Clay passed did not pull us over (I guess he had slowed down from his original 90mph). We arrived at the Birth Center at 2:20pm and within 11 minutes, after engaging the phrase "I can't" with frequency, we welcomed Pherson into the world. I think both he and I were in shock due to the speed with which he arrived. Thankfully he was only 6 lb 12.5oz and 19.5" long because any bigger and I might have needed stitches- which I'm so glad I didn't. So now we have a November baby to add to our fall/winter bunch. So far he's been really mellow and sleepy. It's taken a while for him to figure out how eating works, but he's getting there. I say that and he's barely over 24 hours old! We got home last night around 8pm- almost 6 hours after the birth. 
Thankfully Oma and Opa were able to take the kidlets and I've enjoyed the sleep. I even had my first ever meal from Relief Society and am so grateful. There are perks to being home rather than the hospital, but there are cons too. But we're making the best and hoping the transition to three kids goes smoothly (despite Tupp hitting the screaming and tantrum phase of the terrible twos).
Loves to all our family and we can't wait for you all to meet our newest babe.


No comments:

Blog Archive