"Men are what their mothers made them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, July 29, 2013

June and July in one fell swoop!


Oops! Totally missed June and July is almost over too! Summers always go by too fast....
This is my second time writing this blog post. The amount of disgruntlement over losing said post, especially after saving it repeatedly, will unfortunately cause it to be of shorter duration. Luckily all the photos weren't lost, just the text. So you still get your full helping of pictures.

It's been a pirate summer. We've made pirate hats, made pirate telescopes, learned about maps, directions (NSEW), the stars and tracking the sun, among other things. It's been loose learning at it's finest- no set curriculum, just following Cash's interests and questions to see where they take us. Tupp has gotten in on the action and is as piratey as Cash is. Pherson tags along for the ride.



Cash chose to do one week of French summer school, and of course picked the pirate theme week. We were hoping it would help us to decide whether we really wanted to go back to SRFACS or do homeschool. It didn't help. Cash wants to stay home, but he doesn't want to do the work. There are also days where he wants to go back to school. Ideally, he's told me he would like to go to school a couple of days a week and stay home the other days. If only that was an option.... We've decided to start him back for kindergarden this year and if it doesn't seem to be working out for him or our family then we can take him out and pursue homeschool. The comfort is that kindergarden isn't a requirement by the state anyway.

We started out the summer with a ride on the ferry to a Giants game. Loads of fun had by all, and we even got to share a booth on the ferry with an older couple who actually enjoyed the company of our children.




Yup. Clay shaved his 'stache. But don't worry, it's already back again- amazing the difference a month makes.


Pherson has strawberry blonde hair and brown eyes now. He loves to smile back at you and gabbles a lot. He loves to be held by anyone, but when he's tired he becomes a mama's boy. Love that little man to pieces!  This is Ben's sailor suit from when he was little. Pherse only wore it twice before it got too small. He's grown so much length wise, but he can't keep up the bulk so he's got no rolls on him at all. Although, that's generally how my kids shape up. I started solids about a month late on him- mostly because I was too lazy. It's just so much easier to nurse than to remember to bring along baby food. And besides, he wasn't really interested in it until this last month or so anyhow. He's just started eating more within this last week. 



It helps so much to have Cash and Tupp around while I'm making meals and Pherson needs to be fed. They also come in handy because they always want to finish his leftovers. So much so that they seem to circle like sharks and tend to ask for them before he's even done eating.

The only other quirk about Pherse is the woombie. In all fairness, I haven't actually tried putting him to sleep without it, but it works so well- why mess up what works? Although, when it's in the wash we have to get creative....

Once in a while I'll forget to bring some extra clothes along with me. Thankfully, he looks good in pink and he and Tupp have been known to swap clothes (she wore his jumpsuite yesterday after having an accident at church. good thing she's still small enough to squeeze into 6-9 month clothes).



Pherse is also crawling and sitting up, though I don't usually put him in positions that he can't get to on his own. He's marauding and pillaging now- I even found  him climbing up a step the other day.

Ah, my Tuppy Girl. She is an amazing little creature. So full of opinion, of self confidence and self sufficiency. I had been making measly attempts at potty training her, but nothing consistent since I've been so preoccupied with Pherson, work, etc. Then out of the blue she up and potty trained herself one day. She just decided she was done wearing diapers. Yes, she's that awesome.

Only fitting since she wants to do everything herself. She keeps telling everyone she's turning five. If she wasn't so small I'd almost believe her. ;)


She dances, and makes Cash dance with her, she helps me with grocery shopping, folding clothes, emptying the dishwasher, dusting, etc. 


Cash is my big  helper too. He has discovered he can pick up, hold and carry Pherse. This has opened up a whole new world for both of them; Cash brings Pherse along to join in play. Pherson now finds himself part of pretend picnics  and pirate takeovers. Cash also helps me with the dishes and cleaning around the house and I often send him on "missions" to which he quickly obliges.


Cash is growing up so fast- he just went to the dentist for the first time. He was so excited! Made extra special that it was my hygienist from growing up.




We've had wierd weather here this summer. It rained twice in June, we had a week of 100 degree weather and no cooling off in the night (usually it only lasts three days at a time like that) and then the rest of the summer has been so cool that Cash has asked if it's winter already.

 During the hot spell we crashed out on the couches downstairs and took a trip to Sausalito to cool off at the children's museum.








Fun with a cardboard box. Our fan finally kicked the bucket after at least five years of service. Had to get a new one to survive the heat wave and in the meantime....





So our big vacation this year was a road trip to Virginia City/Gold Hill in Nevada, just outside of Reno. This is where Clay has been working during the week. Yes, he's still commuting. We stayed at the Gold Hill Hotel, where he's been working, at the Miners Lodge. It may look like a shack on the outside, but it's decent enough inside. Two bedrooms, two baths and a kitchen and dining area. Clay sold me on all it's amenities before dropping the bomb- it's haunted. Thankfully he didn't show me the clip on the ghost hunters show that featured it until after we left.





Apparently it's haunted by the 35 men that died in the Yellow Jacket mine in the 1800's. This headframe is ten feet from the front door of the lodge. Other than a door with a padlock on it shuttering around for an hour, we didn't experience anything paranormal. I ignored the door because I didn't want to encourage the ghost's poor behavior. Besides, I think our children may have scared it away.
On the 4th Clay took me shooting at a nearby range. I hadn't done so since I was 14ish. I've decided I'm a glock girl and that shooting a rifle isn't so bad after all.

Then we went to to local parade and I got Cash this squirt gun because I think it's the coolest squirt gun ever.



The next day we rode the train from our hotel and back. We even put a nickel on the tracks and the train did indeed flatten and smooth is out.


On the way home Tupp finally tossed her cookies. She had complained about her tummy every time we drove anyhwere on the vacation. I've decided I need a vacation from road trips strictly because of her. Also, it throws my back out when I'm twisting from the front seat to take care of her. Luckily I had one massage appointment left that Clay had purchased for me and we squeezed that in on our way home from Nevada, along with visiting a friend from high school in Sacramento.


Pherson loves to pull on hair. It's driving me so insane that I was almost ready to shave my head a la Brittany Spears style. Thankfully my friend Cazra got a  hold of me first and now I have a new do that he can't tug on so much. Yay!


Speaking of hair, Cash got his first professional hair cut. He was over due and had to give a talk in primary the next day so I gave him his option to have me cut it our our friend Melissa from swing dancing who is a professional barber. Well....




He chose to have an anchor with a rope put in since a pirate ship is a little too tricky.

I've been over run with the bounties of the earth. It's a blessing and a curse and makes me appreciate the life of a pioneer even more.

Our neighbor has two pear trees. When I told them that they were ready to pick (yes, I've had my eye on them since the old neighbors let them go to waste and I was bound and determined not to let that happen this year) they looked at me and said, "and what would I do with them?" Eat them, is what I replied and then they said I could have all that I wanted. I  picked 9 full bags just of what I could reach. I was too lazy to go pick up my dad's ladder so in exchange for her teaching me  how to can, my friend from church came and picked the rest. We both ended up with about 80 pounds of pears each. I canned four bags worth and then turned another three bags into pear sauce Saturday. I still have two more bags that will probably end up as dried pears, fruit leather and just eaten or in quick bread.


So that's the pears. But my dad has been flooding me with peaches too. So did three quarts canned, made baby food for Pherson, a cobbler and now will make some fruit leather and ice cream.


My personal garden has been very sad this season. Not a single squash, the parsely and basil have bolted, the onions went to seed too. I've had a smattering of strawberries and the mint has taken off, but the winner this year are  my sunflowers. Of course, now I can't bring myself to pick them....






Swings! Another recent first. Pherse was only moderately amused by them, but Cash and Tupp have finally decided that they love to fly.





Wishing you all a high flying adventure for the rest of the summer. We are trying to make the most of it as we discover more about what works for our little family. Loves to all!





No comments:

Blog Archive