"Men are what their mothers made them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Forgot February



It's been a pretty mild month. The exciting stuff was finding Goldiblocks on sale for 80% off.  They've proved entertaining for everyone as well as educational.
Yup. She's still adorable. At six months she's moving everywhere and can even scale the couch cushions I use to barracade her play area in the living room. She doesn't like food much at all but would gladly eat dirty shoe if you let her.
We went fishing on the first slightly warm day. This was when Cash dropped the fish.
For Brigid's day we made beeswax candles. The dipping kind requires way more time and effort than I can devote right now, but it was fun to show the kids how they used to make them. The poured kind is a cinch.


He's on his third tooth. He came up with the idea of tying a string to it and a doorknob and slamming said door. It was not the quick and pain free experience he was expecting.
So overall it's been mild. We've had a few storms but the snow is usually gone within a couple of days. We enjoy it in the meantime.

My latest money making endeavor. Out of the ten sets I made in January I only have two more to sell. Not bad for a first time out and no where near Christmas time. My goal is to make more throughout the year and then start selling them in November.
For Valentines I made Tupp and I a cute hair clip and the boys got felt heart pockets.

Just some more of our little Mandrake/Sarlac.


He loves reading to her. She had her first bad cold about two weeks ago. She loves the balls. She'll bat at them and chase them all over until they wind up under furniture and then she'll whine like a puppy dog until someone comes and rescues it for her.Where's the baby?!
Cash started MightyMites basketball back in November. It ended this month and he has enjoyed it so much and made great strides. He even started using righty more. We are going to continue practicing with both him and Tupp and they'll start again later this year.

Haircuts! Someway, somehow, Tupp's turned out decent. She's been asking for short hair for a while so I finally gave it another try. Not too shabby actually and she always looks super cute with short locks.







We got hired to teach blues dancing for one night at a west coast swing dance. One night of freedom and tacos from the taco truck! Woohoo!


My free jewelry from my party came in. I love it! The double sided pendant works with both the cuff and the necklace. I also got a set of earrings. The kids think I look so fancy now.



We've started regularly going to the library in Dayton. Partly for the books but mostly because our new best friends go to the story time every week. They are another homeschooling family and Cash and Miles are in scouts together. Journey is a year and a half older than Tupp and Trip is a year older than Pherson. By the way, Tupp hates this book. She says it's too scary.
I was the first vote in the Republican primary in Virginia City. Bam!! No Trump here folks. I have become a vocal opponent to the man. Not proud to be an American or  a Republican with the state of politics these days.

Just another quirky oddity in gold country.

They are so helpful in the kitchen. Sometimes it's almost too much help. But they can make mac n cheese now while I nurse the baby on the couch.





This month is  heavy with math. We try to make it fun and beautiful with things like watercolored paper, the laminator and homemade peg boards. Cash is doing really well in school- times tables through 12 may not be memorized, but he can figure most out. He's multiplying and subtracting easily vertically and we are now adding multiplying and dividing in that same vein. He's reading on his own and to his siblings but the only department that is a little rough is writing. English is such a weird language. It's almost heartbreaking to have to tell him that while, yes, thatseems the logical way to spell something that is not in fact how we do it. I may have to give in and start doing spelling words and tests. Bahumbug. Tupp has been writing letters, recounting stories,  doing art and baking and finger knitting. Speaking of knitting, Cash finsihed his first loom project- a hat. And he's so proud of it that he wears it all the time. I'm trying to knit bunnies for Easter, but me hearts for Valentine's didn't pan out so we'll have to wait and see. Right now my focus is on quilts, which I'm also failing at. My motto of "close enough for government work" doesn't fly when I'm doing it for other people.
Hope you all have a good week and hopefully I'll be back on here at the end of March. We have several visitors coming at the end of March-beginning of April. So much excitement!



















No comments:

Blog Archive