"Men are what their mothers made them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, April 17, 2008

A 6 monther

That's our boy- six months already. For breakfast, for the first time, he had "organic, whole grain" rice cereal. He ate about half of it. The other half ended up on his face.Of course he wants to do the spoon himself. Remember, he's a do-it-yourselfer like his dad. The other key is to get the entire spoonful in or else he'll do "motor boat" and send a shower of cereal in a one foot radius. I hadn't set up his high chair (we still need to buy a chair to hook it to) so we sat on towels on the floor with a boppy as support. Unfortunately I'll just have to remember the moment and write it down in my journal for posterity because I had my hands full and was unable to take pictures. Clay was sleeping (as usual) and I didn't want to wake him. But we'll do a recreation scene and no one will be the wiser- except you all who are reading this.
At dinner Clay did the honors (which is when the other pictures were taken too).
We don't know how much he weighs (our next doctors appointment is a week from tomorrow), but he's 28 inches long. That's my big boy! He's already grown out of some of his 6-9 month clothing (you guessed it; anything with feet).
We are constantly amazed (as I imagine all parents are with their little ones) at how quickly he's developing. While he can't properly crawl, he can get anywhere he wants to and faster than one might think. Yesterday Oma and I got a kick out of him chasing down the vacuum. I had him on a blanket on the floor and was vacuuming around him when he started literally chasing the vacuum head and trying to get a hold of it. And it goes without saying that his mouth was wide open as he was doing this. Amazing to see and highly entertaining.

I may have made a mistake yesterday in teaching him to put his hands on the edge of the crib. I found him today trying to get a good hold on the edge and thus decided that it would be best to transition him out of the bassinet before any accidents happen. One of the things I like about our playpen/crib is that it unzips in that bottom portion. I can put him in through there rather than reaching down and I can just unzip it and let him come in and out by himself. He's already doing that, but the little drop (about an inch) gave him a bit of a tumble. For now we'll have to put extra blankets or pillows outside the opening.
And he sits up so well. He just has to improve in catching himself as he transitions from sitting to something else (though he did actually do it without bonking himself the other day).
Jeannie and Russ got to see him spit on purpose yesterday. We have yet to see it, but apparently he didn't just drool. I have a feeling it's kind of on the order of discovering one's hands; discovering you make spit too. At least for boys.

No comments:

Blog Archive