"Men are what their mothers made them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Let the Games begin!


Cash went to his first Scottish Games today at Pleasanton. It was also my fist time back at performing since I was about six months pregnant with him. It was warm, but not the dreadfully hot that it is usually is. I had bought Cash special baby sunscreen for the occasion and between that and diligently keeping him in the shade he's still his bright white self after an all day of fun at the Games.
I went shopping with Oma on my lunch break and we couldn't stop ourselves from buying some Scottish themed shirts ("I'm a wee monster", "Scotland" with the lion on it, and "Scotland Forever" with the St. Andrew's Cross) and a baby kilt. Yes, he does have a kilt already but it won't fit him for at least another year or two. Needless to say, he's going to be wearing it all the time, including to church tomorrow.
Going to the Games for me is kind of like visiting long time friends/family. Since I've been dancing since I was eleven a lot of these people have seen me grow up or I've grown up with them. Case in point: as I was wandering around during lunch I ran in to a girl I used to compete with. She has an eleven month old named Tobin and she and her husband are living in San Diego. It's pretty neat to see all my old competitors/friends in the same place as me. It definitely makes us closer. The sad thing about going to the Games as one gets older is you're reminded that you are indeed older; I don't perform all of the dances that I used to because they're often reserved for the younger dancers, besides which I'm still terribly out of shape at the moment. I confess that there were moments when I wished I was ten years younger. I know, I know- we all have those moments. But maybe not for the same reason :)
Anyhoo, here are some pictures of me and Cash in our get-ups and some video to prove I sometimes actually know what I'm doing. For more Scottish Games photos check out Jim and Judy's blog.


1 comment:

mb said...

i've always wanted to see you dance... thanks!

Blog Archive