"Men are what their mothers made them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

An experiment gone VERY wrong...

Sometimes we feed the missionaries from our church (info for those non Mormon folk out there)- today was one of those days. Now I don't know about anyone else, but I usually use those days to experiment food-wise. You might say that's not very nice to the poor missionaries, and you'd be right, except I'm generally a terrible cook as it is so it's really six or a half dozen of the other. Anyhoo, I decided to experiment with the dessert. I wanted to try out the cake recipes listed previously before Cash's birthday so I decided to try the banana one. Two fundamental mistakes: 1) I used wheat flour, thus making it WAY too wheaty, and 2) now I know how to bake (generally) and I did the whole knife comes out clean test on the cake twice and yet when I put it on the cooling rack wheaty, banana goodness oozed from the cake as if it had been freshly slain. So unless I do some serious revisions (or maybe follow the actual directions...) the banana is a no go. I did try out the other recipe too. It turned out rather well except for the fact I had to cook it for three times as long as the directions called for. Mom says I should get a thermometer for my oven- not a half bad idea... it would improve the quality of the six things I bake all year.
I got to thinking about what Cash should be for Halloween this year. I also happened to be looking back at some of his old clothes.
Maybe a pumpkin? Oh wait, he was that last year...
How 'bout the Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps?


In the end I think he's going to be a blue jay. I'm going to put some blue felt as wings on one of his long sleeve onesies. Can you believe his legs?
In closing, I finally got him walking on camera. Unfortunately I had the camera on it's side and I don't have time to do anything to it so you're all going to have to tilt your head to watch. Sorry. He was walking up a storm today.

No comments:

Blog Archive