And just like that-bam! We're in June.
I'm looking at this month and realizing it's pretty packed so I can't afford to get behind on blogging or it'll be coming out my ears by the time July rolls around.
We're still homeschooling- and loving it. We have days where Cash isn't motivated to do anything but read. For some reason he's not as fond of math as he used to be. I think it's probably because it's not boring and easy worksheets. ;) He liked this science experiment, as did Tupp.
We got two days of showers about two weeks ago. There's a little waterfall on the street behind us and we get a couple of good whopper mud puddles in our own yard.
Still doing the photo a day thing. This was sunrise at St. Mary's Art Center at the bottom of the hill. It used to be the St. Mary's Infirmary and miners paid so much a month to be members. Then they could be treated if they ever needed medical attention. Kind of like health insurance in the old days.
Virginia City from St. Mary's.
Day two of playing in the mud puddles. Although at this point it's just mud. Cash is still coasting his bike. He tried coasting his scooter downhill....well, I kind of saw the end result coming but he insisted it would be glorious. Luckily his crash wasn't too glorious- he didn't even bleed. But I think he realized that the scooter doesn't coast downhill as easily/smoothly as the bike.
Tis the season for the train. They took her out on Friday to shake her down before the Memorial day opening. We were on our way to teach dance. We're still pulling in about 20 people on average, but we just started a Groupon and we're teaching at a west coast swing dance later this month. We're hoping to attend some other westie dances in July so that our presence is out there.
I think I mentioned it before (or maybe I just thought I did), but Tupp says she wants to be a bobsledder. She loves it when I take her down the hill on the skateboard. Now and again Pherson will even get in on the act.
We had a great surprise- Oma and Honey stopped in Friday night through Sunday morning on their way to Utah for their road trip vacation. The kids were overjoyed and we took them uptown on Saturday to see the Memorial day parade and shops, out to dinner at the Gold Hill Hotel and then a couple of quick tour spots, including the mill.
Monday early evening we took a drive to Carson and Clay showed us the Stewart School where they took all of the Native American children they rounded up in Nevada from the late 1800's until it closed in the 80's. They have a walking tour that you can listen to on your cell phone. Truly fascinating.
We stopped in at the train depot so we could watch the "woo woo's" up close and personal. I think Pherson likes them from farther away. ;)
More photo a day: the kaleidascope that I was trying to fix. I did fix it, but then Pherson promptly broke it again.....
Cash came down with the barfy flu at the beginning of the week. I took the opportunity to work on hand work and crafts. I turned some of Clay's old ties into bow-ties for the boys. I'm also working on an alphabet sampler as part of the Waldorf prep for first grade. I'm half way through!
Now and again I'll remember to experiment with my lenses. These are from the macro lens. California poppy
potatoes
California poppy
and strawberries.
After walking to the post office the other day we watched three busloads of children get on the diesel for a ride. Pherson was enthralled...until the whistle blew and then he freaked out.
Our big adventure this weekend was the Renaissance Faire in south Lake Tahoe. They had games to play, catapults to play with, arrows to shoot, sword fighter training, reenactors to meet, jousting to watch, plays and dancing. Tons of fun and we did just about all of it.
Tuppy shot three arrows all on her own.
She begged to meet the queen and we waited patiently while they ran through their myriad of skits. I do believe they take themselves a little too seriously, just saying. But in the end sh was rewarded with a ring, given to her by the queen. And the queen's real life husband even took our family picture and is planning on sending it to me. Score!
The knights were awesome. Cash wants to be one when he grows up. And the horses are rescued horses so they take the money they make from selling shields, swords, flags and photos to take care of the horses. Very noble.
Okay. all caught up for now. We may have some friends visiting this weekend and then the weekend of Father's day we are going to California and Clay has a wedding while I take the kids with some friends to the Pirate Festival. The following week we have the Scirica's coming to VC and then anther week and we're into July, ward youth temple trip, 4th of July..... Oh, I do have Cash taking a science class through a co-op in Reno for June and July. I figure it's best to do it now since I won't want to make the drive come late fall and early winter. We're mostly going to read during the summer and then start school in earnest come September.
Okay. Off to bed. Tomorrow I'm grocery shopping (which is always an ordeal here) and feeding the missionaries. Thank heavens schoolwork is so mild at this age.
Isaac's 12th Birth Day
6 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment